The LLM Application Process
About the LLM Credential Assembly ServiceSM (LLM CASSM)
The LLM Credential Assembly Service (LLM CAS) simplifies the application process for eligible graduates of universities or law schools who wish to obtain an LLM degree from a participating US, Canadian, or Australian law school. Applicants using LLM CAS request official academic documents and letters of recommendation just once for submission to LSAC.
IMPORTANT: You should register and pay for the LLM Credential Assembly Service at least four to six weeks before your first law school application deadline. It takes approximately two weeks to process a US transcript or letter of recommendation from the time it is received by LSAC. Transcripts from non-US institutions may take longer.
How you use LLM CAS is determined by where you earned your first degree in law and the requirements of the law schools to which you apply.
- If you earned a JD from a law school in the US, purchase only the Document Assembly Service. LSAC will include copies of your transcripts and letters of recommendation in your law school report—no transcript analysis is necessary.
- If you earned your first degree in law from an institution outside of the US, you may purchase the Document Assembly Service to have your letters of recommendation, unauthenticated transcripts, English proficiency score(s), and electronic applications forwarded to participating law schools. In addition to the Document Assembly Service, you may need to purchase the International Transcript Authentication and Evaluation Service, which is offered in cooperation with the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). This includes the authentication and evaluation of transcripts/mark sheets, copies of degrees/diplomas, degree and graduation certificates, and rank statements so that US law schools better understand your academic credentials.
The LLM Credential Assembly Service creates your law school report by combining
- copies of all undergraduate, graduate, and law/professional school transcripts, as required by each school;
- an International Credential Evaluation report (for international applicants only);
- copies of letters of recommendation, if required; and
- copies of English proficiency exam scores, if applicable.
When you register, you will be provided with an LSAC account number (L number). You will use this number to identify yourself on all subsequent LSAC interactions, and it will appear on all of your documents.
The LLM Credential Assembly Service can be used in several ways. Listed below are the available services, but your choice may be limited by individual law school requirements.
- Basic Service – Free
- Search for law schools according to types of graduate law programs offered, or by location or school name.
- View application requirements for each program.
- Save a list of schools and programs that interest you.
- Choose to provide a Candidate Referral Service (CRS) profile that schools can use to recruit you.
- Document Assembly Service – $75 fee, good for five years
- Arrange for transcripts to be sent once to LSAC for forwarding to law schools (evaluation not included).
- Arrange for letters of recommendation to be sent once to LSAC for forwarding to law schools.
- Complete and transmit admission applications online.
- Arrange for English proficiency exam scores to be sent once to LSAC for forwarding to law schools.
- International Transcript Authentication and Evaluation Service (for LLM applicants educated outside the US only) – $125, in addition to $75 for Document Assembly Service
- Arrange for official institution documents to be sent once to LSAC for authentication, evaluation, and transmission to participating law schools.
A few notes that will help ease your application process:
- Make sure that all information in your LSAC file is always correct and current.
- Be sure you use the same form of your name on all documents and communications with us.
- Ethical conduct is expected and required in all of your interactions with LSAC and law schools. Misconduct and irregularities in the admission process can have serious consequences.
Once you set up your LSAC account, you will be able to easily go through all of the steps necessary to prepare all of your credentials, complete your applications, and check the status of your application process. We wish you great success in your pursuit of an advanced legal education.
Why not? (Provide additional feedback below. NOTE: If you have a question or concern regarding your specific circumstances, please go to the Contact Us page.)
Please enter a comment.
Thank you for your feedback.