The LLM Application Process
Checklist for the LLM Application Process
The following checklist broadly illustrates the sequence of events in the LLM application process. You are responsible for monitoring your LSAC file to ensure that all deadlines are being met. You can monitor your file status in your LSAC.org account.
- Create an LLM account.
- Research law schools and application deadlines. Find the right LLM program for you by using our searchable database.
- Register and pay for LSAC's LLM Credential Assembly Service (LLM CAS).
IMPORTANT: You should register and pay for the LLM Credential Assembly Service at least four to six weeks before your first law school application deadline. It takes approximately two weeks to process a US transcript or letter of recommendation from the time it is received by LSAC. Transcripts from non-US institutions may take longer.
- Register for an English proficiency exam (if applicable).
- Arrange to have your official academic records sent to LSAC. Transcript Request Forms are available through your LSAC.org account. Have your official transcript(s) sent to LSAC at:
LLM Credential Assembly Service
662 Penn Street
PO BOX 8511
Newtown PA 18940-8511
Allow two weeks from the time of receipt for us to process your domestic transcripts. Transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions located outside the US require additional processing time.
- Ask recommenders to write letters and to send them to LSAC or directly to the law schools (as specified by each school). Identify recommender(s), assign letters, and print the LSAC Letter of Recommendation (LOR) form(s) from your LSAC.org account.
Allow two weeks from the time of receipt for us to process your letters of recommendation.
- View your international credential evaluation in your LSAC.org account once all transcripts have been evaluated (for international applicants only).
- Apply to law schools electronically from your LSAC.org account. You may begin applying to LLM programs at any time. You need not wait for your law school report to be completed before you submit applications.
- Order LLM CAS reports online for each LLM program to which you apply. A $21 report fee will be automatically added to your shopping cart each time you submit an electronic application.
- Use your LSAC.org account to verify that your reports were sent to each LLM program to which you applied. Your law school report will not be generated unless your LLM Credential Assembly Service file is complete.
- Monitor your file status through your LSAC.org account.
NOTE: You must provide all profile information needed to complete your LLM Credential Assembly Service file. Information provided in electronic law school applications, even those transmitted through LSAC, does not automatically transfer to your LLM Credential Assembly Service file.
Why not? (Provide additional feedback below. NOTE: If you have a question or concern regarding your specific circumstances, please go to the Contact Us page.)
Please enter a comment.
Thank you for your feedback.