Posted: October 18, 2023
Summary of Position
The Assistant Dean in the Office of Career Services oversees all operations of the office, develops a strategic vision for the office’s operations, and serves as the public face of the office within the law school and in the greater legal community.
- The position requires a high level of judgment and analysis, including the ability to weigh and balance multiple goals and responsibilities, to anticipate market trends, and to understand concerns and interact effectively with students, alumni, faculty, staff, employers, and the university and law school administration.
- The Assistant Dean works with minimal supervision and sets and implements policies and procedures for the office.
- The Assistant Dean interacts with legal employers in the public and private sectors, law students, senior administrators, and law faculty. The Assistant Dean is considered an expert on the legal market in the Chicago metro and national legal market.
- The Assistant Dean ensures that students receive all necessary counseling services and that all e-mail and phone inquiries to the office, from alumni, faculty, students, and employers, receive timely responses.
- The Assistant Dean attends professional association and employer outreach meetings; attends senior administrators and related meetings monthly or as requested; convenes regular office staff meetings; and meets with alumni for potential employment and/or mentoring opportunities.
- The Assistant Dean also:
- Educates students about the numerous ways to use a JD, LLM or MJ degree.
- Assesses students’ interests, aptitudes and career goals to help them develop a career strategy.
- Develops and delivers career programs to on-campus and on-line JD, LLM, and MJ students.
- Develops and delivers career programs to Loyola alumni seeking to enhance or changes careers.
- Reviews and revises applications materials for JD, LLM, and MJ students and alumni.
- Prepares JD, LLM and MJ students and alumni for job searches and interviews.
- Teaches students and alumni networking skills and connects them to each other.
- Partners with several departments throughout Loyola University to deliver programming to students.
- Manages various contracts entered into by the law school to deliver student services.
- Oversees Loyola’s on-campus and patent law interview programs.
- Serves as liaison to the IL bench and bar.
- Maintains external presence and serves as representative of the School of Law in the Chicago legal community.
- Collaborates with the Dean’s Office on yearly goals for national employment outcomes on diversified employment pipelines.
- Tracks recent graduate employment and reports in a timely manner employment data to the American Bar Association, U.S. New and NALP.
- Oversees outreach to employers including law firms, corporations, public interest organizations, government agencies, and the judiciary.
- Assists students with job offers and salary negotiations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Exhibited commitment to helping law students develop the insight, skills and experience needed to make a successful transition to the legal profession.
- Strong project management and people skills.
- Strong computer proficiency, specifically with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and general familiarity with databases