Posted: May 12, 2021
Summary of Position
ASSISTANT DEAN FOR DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
The primary role of the Assistant Dean for Diversity & Inclusion is to lead Albany Law School’s collaborative effort to develop and advance a diversity, equity and inclusion strategy for the institution that includes all stakeholder groups, including Albany Law School’s Students, Faculty, Staff, and Board of Trustees. The role may also allow for opportunities to participate in the broader educational life of the institution, if desired.
Essential Job Functions
- Leading the development and enhancement of Albany Law School’s strategic plan for diversity, equity and inclusion in collaboration with institutional stakeholders.
- Articulating and advancing strategic priorities and actions as well as deepening campus connections to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Working with senior leadership to evaluate, design and implement institution-wide policies and practices to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion for and among all institutional stakeholders.
- Developing evaluation tools and establishing performance metrics to measure progress and report on the institution’s success in its initiatives.
- Collaborating with campus constituencies to promote synergy of diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and initiatives across the law school community, including marketing efforts, recruitment and other strategic objectives.
- Serving as a resource for the campus community on best practices and national trends in the areas of identity development, access and inclusion, intercultural issues, diversity and social justice. Identifying, planning and implementing related educational programming and training for students, faculty, staff, alumni and the Board of Trustees.
- Serving as chair of the Institutional Diversity Committee.
- Other related duties as assigned by the President and Dean and/or Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven experience as a passionate change agent, capable of infusing values around diversity, equity and inclusion into communities, programs and activities.
- Knowledge of current research and best practices in diversity, equity and inclusion.
- High level of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Proven ability to form relationships, build bridges and bring others together around a common goal.
- Strong interpersonal, consensus-building, facilitation and teamwork skills needed for effective conversations among diverse viewpoints; collaborative approach to working with others.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to work independently and with a variety of constituents, establish and manage shifting priorities, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to envision, develop and implement systems, policies, training and programs to foster a healthy and inclusive law school community.
- Demonstrated problem solving, critical analysis, initiative, judgment and decision- making skills.
- Effective conflict resolution skills. Ability to influence thinking and gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential topics with a high degree of professionalism.
- Ability to prepare and present written and oral presentations.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite products.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- J.D. degree from an A.B.A. approved law school preferred. Graduate degree in higher education administration, diversity, equity, and inclusion, counseling, education, organizational behavior, business or related fields will also be considered.
- Five or more years of experience working as a diversity, equity and inclusion professional, developing, managing and measuring strategies and programs. Experience in higher education preferred.
Visit Albany Law School’s employment page to apply.
How to Apply