Posted: August 6, 2021
Summary of Position
The University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School is one of the oldest and most distinguished law schools in the United States. We offer a distinctive cross-disciplinary legal education, drawing on the depth and breadth of the University of Pennsylvania, and a supportive intellectual community for our scholars and students alike.
Each year, Penn Carey Law attracts outstanding legal practitioners and scholars from around the world to its LLM, LLCM, and SJD programs.
Reporting to the Executive Director for Graduate and Programs, the Associate Director helps develop, support, and implement a range of strategies to recruit diverse and talented foreign trained attorneys to Penn Carey Law, provides support and programing to optimize the students’ experience while at Penn Carey Law, and helps maintain strong relations with alumni.
Recruitment and Admissions:
- Support and implement effective, creative strategies to recruit outstanding students to Graduate Programs, both in the application and admitted student phases.
- Recruit students via email and other correspondence, video and telephone conferencing, and occasional international travel.
- Manage the application process for the Law School’s LLM, LLCM and SJD programs.
- Develop, fine-tune, and implement systems and part-time staffing for the careful evaluation of 1,500+ applications per cycle.
- Review files and make admissions and scholarship recommendations.
- Oversee the design and distribution of prospective student, application, and admitted student materials.
- Manage and keep current the content of Graduate Programs websites (currently the external and the admitted student sites) and social media platforms.
- Ensure excellent communication about the program, its benefits, its students, and its alumni to internal and external audiences.
- Represent Penn Carey Law to prospective, admitted, matriculating and graduated students. Represent Penn Carey Law to international schools and universities, law firms, other employers, and other potential partners both within and outside the University of Pennsylvania.
- Develop and manage programming for current graduate programs students, including management of the non-academic portion of the LLM’s mandatory 5-week pre-term program.
- Provide curricular consultation and programmatic direction to students for building a rich intellectual experience and appropriate coursework given professional goals.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Student Affairs, Career Services, Communications, Toll Public Interest Center and other departments to ensure excellent programming.
- Work with other Penn departments (such as ISSS) to fully support Graduate Programs’ students.
- Hire and manage a Graduate School of Education intern from the Higher Education Program on an annual basis, ensuring delegation of appropriate work and a consistent workflow.
- Ensure the intern provides strong, efficient, and accurate service to students, faculty, staff colleagues, and members of the profession, while gaining valuable experience within his or her educational experience.
- Work closely with the Graduate Programs Coordinator, providing direction and guidance as needed.
Other duties as assigned.
We seek candidates who are reliable, flexible, committed to ongoing learning and professional growth, and have established track records as successful collaborators in the workplace.
The successful candidate will hold an advanced degree, JD or LLM preferred, and have a minimum of three to five years of increasing responsibility in higher education administration, with admissions experience preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience. The ideal candidate will have considerable experience working in an environment concerned with international issues and experience interacting with people from around the globe. Foreign language skills and international work experience are valued, but not required. The successful candidate will also have the ability to build strong professional relationships with multiple constituents and partners, including faculty and staff within Penn Carey Law and the University of Pennsylvania, colleagues at other law schools, current students and alumni.
How to Apply
Please apply via https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Law-School/Associate-Director-of-Graduate-Programs--Penn-Law_JR00037440. Be sure to upload your resume and cover letter.