Posted: November 13, 2023
Summary of Position
Widener University Commonwealth Law School is currently seeking a Director of Academic Success on the Harrisburg campus. Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, this role will work with campus partners to improve student academic performance. WLC is a small, close-knit, collegial law school committed, above all, to our students’ success. Our student body is diverse and includes many first-generation college students. This position is on-site and may be eligible for hybrid work one day a week at the discretion of the supervisor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Redesign and implement the law school’s Academic Success Program, including working closely with faculty and administration to implement a comprehensive plan to maximize student learning and achievement in law school, on exams, and on writing assignments with a particular emphasis on programming for first generation law students and other underrepresented student populations to support their retention and academic success and lead or organize workshops to carry out the plan
- Develop and implement pre-orientation workshops that provide foundational skills to students transitioning to law school
- Teach each semester 1-2 courses (2-4 credits) in the existing curriculum that help students to understand learning techniques and that train students on exam-taking skills and strategies
- Identify those students likely to benefit from academic success programming and invite them to attend and participate in academic success programming
- Collaborate with faculty to identify individual student issues related to academic success and performance on exams and writing assignments
- Collaborate with faculty, the Dean of Students, and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to assess and address the current needs for programming and support for all students
- Coordinate the student-based Academic Success Fellows and other peer mentoring programs for first year professors.