Posted: May 17, 2021
Summary of Position
This position manages the coordination of events and activities at the Blewett School of Law, including Max S. Baucus Institute and the Department of Public Administration events. This position works closely with both internal and external stakeholders to organize events, coordinate logistics, and manage participants.
Under the supervision of the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Events and Marketing Coordinator assists the Director with marketing responsibilities. The two positions function as a team to arrange pre-event and post-event publicity.
Specific Job duties include:
- Schedule law school events in calendaring software in careful coordination with all program areas
- Create virtual Zoom events; manage livestream events, recordings, and participant data
- Use EventBrite to manage event registration and Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit payment
- Provide selection, calendar coordination, contract and booking, room setup, and catering guarantees for off-campus venues when needed
- Negotiate hotel room block contracts
- Coordinate within the department for door locking and security changes and with LawIT for AV requirements and other technology needs; interdepartmental coordination with UM Catering for food and beverage, Facilities Services work orders for large event setup, UM Events for special events and ordering (partitions, podiums, etc.), Campus Police for special guests and parking arrangements, and other departments for venue reservations
- Complete and submit CLE applications, provide CLE registration, consolidate CLE registration with participant lists, report CLE attendance to the State Bar, and create and distribute continuing education certificates for other states and boards
- Manage on-site event functions such as running a registration desk, greeting attendees and speakers, directing UM Catering where to set up and monitoring the food and bar, reserving seating for special guests, and providing additional materials or assistance as needed
- Maintain, organize, and store an inventory of non-IT law school equipment, including chairs, tables, easels, decorations, gifts, and other items; make sure equipment is in good working order and ready for use; order new items when there is need
- Conduct post-assessment of event effectiveness and implementing improvement plans for future events
- Other general events responsibilities include managing the LawEvents email account and events files, tracking events spending and budget, coordinating event planning meetings, setup and teardown of building and rooms (registration/catering/vendor tables, chairs, signage, vases, flowers, lighting, printed information, etc.), coordinating student volunteers, arranging for food and beverage not supplied by UM Catering (speaker waters, coffee, snacks), release forms, speaker gifts, and researching improvements and cost-saving options for events
- Assist with the creation and management of 50+ event listings each semester in Griz Hub
- Manage online Submittable forms and submissions
- Utilize Cascade CMS to assist with content updates to departmental websites and academic landing pages
- Assist the director of marketing and communications with Facebook events, paid advertising, and curation of other social media content on nine channels
- Utilize basic design skills to create event signage, class lookbooks, and other simple materials
- Manage digital and non-digital marketing displays in the law school
- Take event photos and short video clips; complete MCAT requests; submit University Marketing photography and videography requests for lookbook photos, class photos, staff, and faculty headshots, event photography, branded photoshoots, and promotional videos
- Other general marketing responsibilities include assisting with the management of the Blewett School of Law shared email account, assist with tracking marketing spending, listing events with Missoula Events, and proofreading
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of scheduling software; develop a working knowledge of Microsoft Access; develop a working knowledge of Banner; develop a working knowledge of building use policies, and room technology; develop the ability to effectively market the Law School in social media communications; develop a working knowledge of website management platforms to maintain and update the School’s webpages; and develop a working knowledge of UM Policies and regulations regarding events and building usage.
- Demonstrated experience in event planning and execution
- Experience working with and contracting with vendors, including hotels, restaurants, caterers, florists, photographers, videographers, and musicians
- Demonstrated experience in a professional office setting
- Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft Office software applications, and specifically Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, One-Note, and PowerPoint
- Ability to learn and use new technologies as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally
- Ability to effectively work with limited supervision and to provide high-level support on complex and unstructured tasks
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, students and campus departments and provide leadership in events management
- Effective public relations and interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with a diverse group of individuals
- Sound project management skills and ability to develop timelines and work on multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to maintain poise and professionalism at all times
- Ability to problem-solve, make sound decisions, and utilize conflict management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as demonstrated by the ability to draft professional letters, emails, and reports and present to the public, students, staff, faculty, and administrators
- Basic knowledge of and ability of apply marketing strategies
- Heartsaver First Aid/CPR/AED certification or ability to earn the certification within six months
How to Apply
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.