The following checklist broadly illustrates the sequence of events in the application process. You may perform most of the tasks in any order you choose. You are responsible for monitoring your LSAC file to ensure that all deadlines are being met. You can monitor your file status in your LLM account.
- Create an LLM account.
- Research law schools and application deadlines. Find the right LLM program for you by using our searchable database.
- Purchase the LLM Credential Assembly Service (LLM CAS) services you need.
You should purchase the required services at least four to six weeks before your first law school application deadline. It takes approximately two weeks to process a US transcript or letter of recommendation from the time it is received by LSAC. Transcripts from non-US institutions may take longer.
- Register for an English proficiency exam (if applicable).
- Arrange to have your official academic records sent to LSAC. Transcript Request Forms are available through your LLM account. Have your official transcript(s) sent to LSAC at:
LLM Credential Assembly Service
662 Penn Street
PO BOX 8511
Newtown PA 18940-8511
Allow two weeks from the time of receipt for LSAC to process your domestic transcripts. Transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions located outside the United States require additional processing time.
- Ask recommenders to write letters and to send them to LSAC or directly to the law schools (as specified by each school). Add the recommender(s) to your LLM account and assign the letters to the school(s) of your choice.
Allow two weeks from the time of receipt for LSAC to process your letters of recommendation.
- Apply to law schools electronically from your LLM account. You may begin applying to LLM programs at any time. You need not wait for your transcript evaluation or your law school report to be completed before you submit applications.
- Order law school reports online for each LLM program to which you apply. A $30 report fee will be automatically added to your shopping cart each time you submit an electronic application.
- View your international credential evaluation on the Law School Reports page of your LLM account once all transcripts have been evaluated (for international applicants only).
- Use your LLM account to verify that your reports were sent to each LLM program to which you applied. Your law school report will not be generated unless your LLM CAS file is complete.
- Monitor your file status through your LLM account.
You must provide all profile information needed to complete your LLM CAS file. Information provided in electronic law school applications, even those transmitted through LSAC, does not automatically transfer to your LLM CAS file.