In Memoriam: Celebrating the Legacies of the Colleagues We’ve Lost
The past year has reminded us of the special bond we share. Together, we worked to overcome challenges and uncertainty in a united effort to preserve the integrity of legal education while ensuring the future of justice remains bright. As a community, we have never been stronger or more appreciative of each other’s talents and capabilities.
It was in this spirit that we got together on April 23, 2021 to remember, celebrate and honor some of our respected colleagues that we lost in recent months. In a virtual service hosted by LSAC Senior VP for Schools and Institutions, Vivian Bowden, and with the participation LSAC President and CEO, Kellye Testy, members of our community shared their thoughts and memories of colleagues who passed away in recent months:
- Giovanna Iaffaldano (aka Joann Szymonik) – formerly from University of San Diego School of Law
- Carl Eging – retired, University of San Diego School of Law
- Jay Jorgensen – University of Richmond School of Law
- David Martinidez – Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University
- Melanie Nutt – retired from Wake Forest University School of Law
- Athornia Steele – retired from Nova Southeastern University—Shepard Broad College of Law and LSAC
- Rennard Strickland – retired from University of Oregon School of Law
To mark this celebration, the LSAC team produced this video in honor of our colleagues in which some of their closest collaborators paid tribute to their legacy in the legal education field. We hope you will join us in always remembering and celebrating their impacts in all of our lives.