The following checklist broadly illustrates the sequence of events in the application process. You may perform most of the tasks in any order you choose. You are responsible for monitoring your LSAC account to ensure that you meet all deadlines.
Do your research
Research law schools and application deadlines.
Create an account
Think ahead! Create an account and purchase the required services at least six weeks before your first law school application deadline.
Arrange to have your official academic records sent to LSAC
Transcript Request Forms are available through your account. Schools should send your official documents to
LLM Credential Assembly Service
662 Penn Street
Newtown PA 18940-8511
Request letters of recommendation
Add the recommenders to your account. They can upload their letter into your account or they can mail it to LSAC. Remember to assign your letters to be sent to the schools that you select.
Register for an English proficiency exam (if applicable)
We accept score reports for either TOEFL or IELTS exams and, upon receipt of an official score report from the testing service, will include your scores in your law school report. To have your TOEFL score sent, provide ETS with our institution code (8395) when you place your order for a copy of the score report to be sent. To have your IELTS score sent, contact your test center and ask that your official score report be sent to LSAC for electronic download.
Apply to law schools electronically
You can do this from your account. You may begin applying to programs at any time. You need not wait for your documents to be processed in your account or for your transcript evaluation or law school report to be completed before you submit applications.
Purchase law school reports through your account
Purchase a report for each program to which you apply. A $30 report fee will be automatically added to your shopping cart each time you submit an electronic application. Use your account to verify that your reports were sent to each program to which you applied.
Monitor your file status through your account
Remember to check your account to see that your documents have been received, view your credential evaluation report (for international applicants only), your applications have been submitted, and your law school reports have been sent to each program to which you applied.
Helpful Tips to Ease the Application Process
- Make sure that all information in your LSAC file is always correct and current. With the exception of address changes, biographical data changes cannot be made by telephone. To request that LSAC update the name, date of birth, or Social Security/Insurance number associated with your account, use the LSAC Biographical Information Changes form (PDF).
- Include your account number and use the same form of your name on all documents and communications with us.
- Carefully review any correspondence we send to you.
- Ethical conduct is expected and required in all of your interactions with LSAC and law schools. Misconduct and irregularities in the admission process can have serious consequences.
- LSAC will release candidate-specific information only to you and to the law schools to which you have applied. Information will not be released to or discussed with a parent, spouse, friend, or any other person.