Transcripts/Academic Records (LLM & Other Law Programs)

It is your responsibility to request an official copy of all required academic records to be sent to LSAC directly from each institution you attended. Transcripts issued to you or sent to LSAC by you will not be processed. We urge you to begin the process well in advance of your application deadlines.

How to Have Transcripts Sent

  • You must use LSAC’s Transcript Request Form (TRF) for this purpose. Your TRF can be printed from the Transcripts page of your account. LSAC’s address is on the forms.
  • Send a TRF to each of the postsecondary institutions you have attended, regardless of whether or not a degree was completed. Have each institution complete the form and return it to us by mail, along with your official transcript/mark sheet/academic record.
  • All academic documents MUST be mailed directly to LSAC from the issuing institution in a sealed school envelope with a stamp or seal across the sealed flap.
  • Documents issued to the student or sent from the student are unacceptable, as are loose documents inserted directly into an express mailer. When using an express mail service, the sealed institution envelope must be contained inside of the express mailer.

If you are in the process of completing your degree, you should arrange for a transcript of all available grades to be sent to LSAC. When you have completed your degree, you will have to arrange for the final transcript to be sent to LSAC.

If you are applying to law schools that require your class rank, you should ask your institution to include a statement of rank with the transcript that they mail to us. This may be a statement of the fact that your institution does not use a system of class rank.

Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if

  • a degree was never received;
  • credit was transferred from an institution and it appears on another institution’s transcript;
  • the institution has closed;
    (These transcripts are usually maintained by the department of higher education or by another school in the state in which the school was located, so you will need to contact the state’s department of higher education. For international transcripts, contact the Ministry of Education or similar government agency in the country where the institution was located.)
  • “Withdraw,” “Incomplete,” and so on, are the only grades listed; or
  • you have just enrolled, in which case you should request that the registrar’s office send a transcript of courses “in progress” or a statement of current enrollment and the anticipated date of completion. The document must bear the official registrar’s seal.

Transcripts received by LSAC, and copies thereof, cannot be returned to the applicant or provided to any third party, including bar examiners or other graduate programs. Because LSAC is not the issuing institution, we have no authority to make copies of your credentials available to any party other than law schools that participate in the LSAC LLM Credential Assembly Service and request your credentials. LSAC reserves the right to request further documentation from you or verification directly from your institutions.

International Transcript Authentication and Evaluation (internationally educated applicants only)

When LSAC has received all of your academic records, your file will be forwarded to AACRAO for evaluation. No World Education Service (WES) or other outside evaluations will be considered for review. Our evaluators will provide their own report based on a thorough review of your official institution-issued documents.

Credential evaluation takes approximately two to three weeks to complete once LSAC has received all of your documents. During peak processing periods, it takes longer. There may be further delay if the evaluator requires additional information in order to complete the review. Remember that any omission of required education history could delay the review of your credentials and, thereby, delay our report to the law schools. It is not necessary to have secondary institution transcripts sent to LSAC. Secondary education information is collected solely for verification purposes.

Reevaluation of Credentials

If you find an error on your law school report, print the report, circle the error, and write the correct information on the report. Mail the corrected report and accompanying explanation to:

Law School Admission Council
LLM Credential Assembly Service
662 Penn Street
Dept. 8511
Newtown PA 18940-8511

You will be notified of the outcome of LSAC’s review of your corrections.

This is important.Please Note: What may look like an error to you could be the result of a policy or procedure the law schools have asked us to implement. For more information, call 215.968.1315 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. ET.

Updating Your Transcript Information

You should have official transcripts sent to LSAC for any additional academic work completed after your initial law school reports have been sent to law schools by LSAC. This information will be incorporated into your file, and updated transcript reports will be sent to the law schools as long as their reporting term is still current.

Inability to Obtain Transcripts/Academic Records

If you are unable to obtain transcripts from an institution due to an outstanding financial obligation, you must indicate this when registering for the LLM Credential Assembly Service. LSAC will not be able to produce any law school reports for you unless we receive official academic records from the institution where you earned your first degree in law.