It is your responsibility to request an official copy of all required academic records to be sent to LSAC directly from each institution you attended. Transcripts issued to you or sent to LSAC by you will not be processed. We urge you to begin the process well in advance of your application deadlines.
All postsecondary (after secondary/high school level) education must be listed in your account under ‘Credentials – Transcripts.’ This includes all schools attended, regardless of whether a degree was completed, including study abroad/exchange programs and transfer credits that appear on another transcript. You may use the Transcript Request Form for each institution to request your academic records be sent by the school directly to LSAC in the required manner. (Please note: Secondary/High School information is entered in your account; however, no documents are required.)
If you are in the process of completing your program or degree, a transcript with all available grades should be sent to LSAC. When you have completed it, you should arrange to have the final transcript sent to LSAC.
If you have just enrolled and a transcript is not available, you should request that the registrar’s office of the school send a certificate or statement of enrollment with the anticipated date of completion.
If you are applying to a law school that requires your class rank, you should ask your institution to include a statement of rank with the transcript they mail to LSAC, or it may be sent separately. If the school does not rank, this will be a statement of the fact that your institution does not use a system of class rank.
How to Have Transcripts Sent for Education Completed Outside the U.S.
- All academic documents MUST be mailed directly to LSAC from the issuing institution in a sealed school envelope with a stamp or seal across the sealed flap of the envelope.
- You must use LSAC’s Transcript Request Form (TRF) for this purpose. Your TRF can be printed from the Transcripts page of your LSAC online account . LSAC’s address is on the forms.
- Send a TRF to each of the postsecondary institutions you have attended, regardless of whether a degree was completed. Have each institution complete the form and return it to us by mail, along with your official transcript/mark sheet/academic record.
- Documents issued to the student or sent from the student are unacceptable, as are loose documents inserted directly into an express mailer. If an express courier service is being used, the sealed institution envelope must be contained inside the express mailer and mailed directly to LSAC from the institution.
- We are also able to accept academic records electronically from the following providers:
- My eQuals (Australia/New Zealand) Instructions: LSAC will accept transcripts electronically if your institution uses the My eQuals service. Please share your official records by selecting LSAC (Law School Admission Council) from the list of Institutional Recipients.
- Digitary CORE (UK) Instructions: LSAC will accept transcripts electronically if your institution uses the Digitary CORE service. Please share your official records by selecting LSAC (Law School Admission Council) from the list of Institutional Recipients.
- Gradintelligence (UK) Instructions: LSAC will accept transcripts electronically if your institution uses the Gradintelligence service. Please share your official records using the email address LLMinfo@LSAC.org.
- MyCreds (Canada) Instructions: LSAC will accept transcripts electronically if your institution uses the MyCreds service. Please share your official records by selecting LSAC (Law School Admission Council) from the list of Institutional Recipients.
- If your school does not use one of these services, then the transcripts will need to be mailed by the issuing institution directly to LSAC in the required manner.
Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if:
- a degree was never received;
- credit was transferred from an institution, and it appears on another institution’s transcript;
- the institution has closed;
(These transcripts are usually maintained by the department of higher education or by another school in the state in which the school was located, so you will need to contact the state’s department of higher education. For international transcripts, contact the Ministry of Education or similar government agency in the country where the institution was located.)
- “Withdraw,” “Incomplete,” and so on, are the only grades listed; or
- you have just enrolled, in which case you should request that the institution’s Academic Records Office send a transcript of courses “in progress” or a statement of current enrollment and the anticipated date of completion. The document must bear the institution’s official seal.
Transcripts received by LSAC, and copies thereof, cannot be returned to the applicant or provided to any third party, including bar examiners or other graduate programs. Because LSAC is not the issuing institution, we have no authority to make copies of your credentials available to any party other than law schools that participate in the LSAC LLM Credential Assembly Service and request your credentials. LSAC reserves the right to request further documentation from you or verification directly from your institutions.
International Transcript Authentication and Evaluation (Internationally Educated Applicants Only)
When LSAC has received all your required academic records, your file will be forwarded to AACRAO for evaluation. Other outside evaluations, including World Education Service (WES), will not be accepted or considered. Our evaluators will provide their own report based on a thorough review of your official institution-issued documents.
Credential evaluation takes approximately two to three weeks to complete once LSAC has received all your documents. During peak processing periods, it may take longer. There may be further delay if the evaluator requires additional information to complete the review. Please keep in mind that any omission of required education history could delay the review of your credentials and, thereby, delay our report to the law schools.
LSAC will accept transcripts sent via secure electronic transfer from U.S. schools if your school uses National Student Clearinghouse, Credential Solutions, Scrip-Safe, or Parchment. Please select LSAC as the recipient, Electronic Exchange PDF as the mode of delivery, and do not enter an email address. If LSAC does not appear in the Organization Name drop-down box, then your institution does not have electronic delivery to LSAC enabled. In that case you will need to have the transcript mailed by the school directly to LSAC using the address on the Transcript Request Form. You can print your Transcript Request Forms from the Transcripts page of your LSAC online account.
If you find an error on your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) Report, please print the report, circle or highlight the error, and return as an attachment via email to LLMinfo@LSAC.org. Please include a detailed explanation. This information will be forwarded for review, and you will be notified if a re-evaluation is warranted. If a correction is made to your evaluation, an updated CAS Report will be sent to the schools you applied to.
For corrected, updated, or final transcripts, please have the issuing institution mail your official transcripts/academic records directly to LSAC in a sealed school envelope with a stamp or seal across the sealed flap of the envelope.
Once received, we will update or replace your existing transcript as appropriate, and your CAS Report will be updated accordingly. We will also send an updated CAS Report to any schools that have already received your report as long as the school’s reporting term is still current.
If you are unable to obtain transcripts from an institution due to an outstanding financial obligation, you must indicate this when registering for the LLM Credential Assembly Service. LSAC will not be able to produce any CAS Reports for you unless we receive official academic records from the institution where you earned your first degree in law.