Students gathered around a laptop and clipboard.

Help for LLM & Other Law Program Applicants

The Basics

Where should my documents be sent?

Transcripts and other academic documents should be mailed by the university to:

LSAC LLM Credential Assembly Service
662 Penn Street, Dept. 8511
Newtown, PA 18940-8511

Letters of recommendation should be mailed by the recommender to:

LSAC LLM Credential Assembly Service
662 Penn Street, Dept. 8500
Newtown, PA 18940-8500

How long does it take to process my documents?

Allow two weeks from the time of receipt for us to process your documents. During the peak processing period from October through February, processing could take one to two weeks longer.

How can I add an institution that I forgot to list in my account?

Choose the Credentials/Transcripts link under the Apply tab on your account. Then click on Add Institution to add the school.

If the Add Institution button is not visible, email us with the following information, and we will add the institution for you:

  1. Your name and account number
  2. Country of institution
  3. Institution name
  4. Dates attended (month and year) – beginning and ending
  5. Field of study
  6. Name of degree/certificate awarded or expected
  7. Date (month and year) awarded or expected


Are the Electronic Application Service (EAPS), Document Assembly Service (DAS), and the International Transcript Authentication and Evaluation Service (ITAES) required?

EAPS is required in order to submit electronic applications through your LLM account.

DAS is required in order to have your CAS Report sent to your prospective law schools.

ITAES is intended for applicants educated outside of the United States and is only required if a law school you are applying to requires it. If you are purchasing the ITAES, you must also purchase the DAS.

How do I have a CAS Report sent to a law school?

Once you submit an application and the law school receives it, the law school will contact LSAC to request your CAS Report. Your report will include

  • copies of all undergraduate, graduate, and law/professional school records, as required by each school;
  • an International Credential Evaluation report (for international applicants only);
  • copies of letters of recommendation, if required; and
  • English proficiency exam scores, if applicable.

Transcripts/Academic Records, Letters of Recommendation, and English Proficiency

How do my academic records get forwarded to LSAC?

Contact all the institutions you attended and have them mail your academic records directly to LSAC in a sealed school envelope with a stamp or seal across the sealed flap.

Which transcripts or academic documents are required?

Transcripts and other academic records are required to be sent from all postsecondary institutions you attended even if:

  • a degree was never received
  • credit was transferred from an institution and appears on your home institution's transcript
  • the institution has closed
  • "withdraw," "incomplete," and so on, are the only grades listed
  • you have just enrolled (in which case, request that the registrar's office send a transcript of your courses "in progress" or an official statement of enrollment with the anticipated date of completion)     

Additionally, for all postsecondary programs completed outside of the US, a certified copy of original proof of graduation in the form of a Certificate of Graduation, Diploma, or Degree needs to be submitted.

Please see the required documents list for specific documents needed from the countries you studied in.

Do I need to provide translations of my academic documents or will LSAC prepare the translations?

LSAC is not able to provide a translation service for your documents. You are responsible for providing the translation for any document not entirely in English. Translations must be literal, line-by-line, word-for-word, and, if possible, in the same format as the original-language documents. With several exceptions, LSAC does not require certified translations, but some law schools do. You should always check the law schools' specific application requirements before submitting translations.

How do I send letters of recommendation to my law schools?

You need to assign each letter to the law schools you applied to. Letters that you assigned are sent to the law schools as part of your CAS Report. Unassigned letters will not be sent. You can only assign as many letters as the school will accept.

How do I delete a recommender that I do not want to use?

You can only delete a recommender up until the time you either print the Letter of Recommendation (LOR) form or send the electronic LOR request.

Is the TOEFL or IELTS required and where should the results be sent?

Most schools will ask applicants for whom English is not their native language to take a standardized English proficiency test. We can accept electronic score reports for the TOEFL or IELTS exam.

To have your TOEFL score sent, provide ETS with our institution code (8395) when you place your order for a copy of the score report to be sent. To have your IELTS score sent, you must request that your official score report be sent to LSAC for electronic download using the IELTS system to Law School Admission Council LLM/JD Credential Assembly Svc. We cannot accept paper copies of scores.

Please note that once we receive a TOEFL or IELTS score, it cannot be deleted or replaced. We will report all English proficiency scores on your CAS Report.

International Transcript Authentication and Evaluation

How long does the credential evaluation take?

The evaluation takes two to three weeks. It can take longer if additional documentation or information is required.

Will I receive a copy of the evaluation report?

Once your report is complete, you will receive an email notification, and it will be available for you to view via your online account. You will have access to view the summary of the report, but copies of your transcripts will not be available to view.

Electronic Applications and CAS Reports

I accidentally selected and saved the wrong application for a law school. Can I delete it and select the application I really want to complete?

You can delete any application as long as its status is listed as "In Progress" on the Active Applications page. Click Delete under "Prepare to Apply." The application will be cleared and will no longer appear on the list of Active Applications. If you have letters of recommendation assigned to the application, you must first unassign them before you can delete the application. Once the saved application has been deleted, you will be able to open the other application for that term in the School List section. If the application is marked as Sent, Transmitted, or Completed, you cannot delete it.

Why hasn’t my application been submitted to the law school?

First, check the application’s status.

  • If the status is listed as "In Progress," you have not completed all three steps of the application process. You must complete 100% of the application and upload required documents, preview the application, and complete the checkout process. You must complete the checkout step even if you have a fee waiver or the application fee is $0.00.
  • If the status is listed as "Shopping Cart," you must complete the checkout process before your application will be sent.
  • If the status is listed as "Processing," you should monitor the progress of your application to see that it moves to Sent or Transmitted within 24 hours. If it does not, you should notify LSAC Technical Support.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have completed all the necessary steps to transmit your application.

What is included in the LLM Credential Assembly Service (LLM CAS) report to law schools?

The LLM CAS creates your CAS Report by combining

  • copies of all undergraduate, graduate, and law/professional school transcripts, as required by each school;
  • an International Credential Evaluation report (for international applicants only);
  • copies of letters of recommendation, as required by each school; and
  • copies of English proficiency exam scores, if applicable.

How will the law schools get my LLM CAS report?

You do not need to let us know which schools you want reports sent to. Once you apply, the schools will request your report directly from LSAC. Just be sure to pay for the report for the law school and program to which you are applying.

This is important.Please Note: We are not able to send CAS Reports at your request.

The law school asked for my report. Why hasn't it been sent?

You should check the CAS Reports page of your online account. Under "Incomplete Reports," you will see the reason the report has not been sent yet. Transcripts missing from your account or the transcript evaluation not being complete are the most common reasons for the delay in reports being sent.

Contact Us

For questions or assistance, contact the LLM department Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (EST).

By phone: +1.215.968.1315

By email: