Widener University Delaware Law School
The information on this page was provided by the law school.
Official Guide to LLM, Master’s, and Certificate Programs
Take your legal talents to the next level with an advanced law degree—and prepare yourself for a world of opportunity.
Widener University Delaware Law School offers legal education at its best. It is personal, practical, and centered on professional experience. It’s
- ... in depth. An advanced law degree can strengthen your legal skills and make your résumé distinctly attractive. Widener University Delaware Law School offers various graduate studies that will give you valuable specialized training in your area of interest. We offer seated master of laws (LLM) programs in corporate law and finance or in American legal studies. We also offer online LLM and master of jurisprudence (MJ) programs in health-care compliance, corporate compliance, and higher education compliance.
- ... in focus. Located in the heart of America’s “corporate capital,” Wilmington is the perfect location to focus on an LLM in corporate and financial law. Wilmington is home to our internationally recognized Delaware Journal of Corporate Law. You will be taught by a faculty of nationally respected legal scholars whose passion for the law is matched only by their passion for teaching.
- ... in touch. Delaware Law is about more than making the grade; it’s about making a difference. Our welcoming campus promotes intellectual, social, and cultural diversity, and offers a wide range of experiences. We instill in our students a respect for the law as an instrument of positive change as well as a means to building a rewarding career.
Widener University’s history as a former military college has given Widener a strong foundation, and has created a lasting set of values that are reflected in the university’s mission statement today. As a first-choice university, Widener is a dynamic, inclusive academic community, transforming students into scholars, leaders, and globally engaged citizens. Founded in 1821 as a preparatory school for boys in Wilmington, Delaware, the institution now known as Widener University moved to Pennsylvania in 1862. Widener has been recognized as a “military-friendly” university for 10 straight years.
Through Widener University’s Delaware Law School, many legal degree options exist in addition to the juris doctor degree. The Graduate, International, Compliance, and Legal Studies department of Delaware Law School offers legal degrees for undergraduates, graduates, and international students. Several program offerings are available in an online learning format. Delaware Law is located in Wilmington, Delaware, home to some of the world’s largest corporations as well as to many leading corporate law firms. The campus is conveniently located near Philadelphia; Baltimore; Washington, DC; and New York.
LLM and MJ Graduate Programs/Areas of Specialization
Delaware Law’s nationally recognized LLM and MJ graduate programs offer specialized study for accomplished professionals who want to enhance their careers. Because our programs attract students from all over the world, classroom discussions are informed by a diversity of experiences and perspectives.
Master of Laws (LLM) in Corporate Law and Finance
The Master of Laws in Corporate Law and Finance program allows law graduates to gain the advanced knowledge and analytical skills needed in the business world while studying in the heart of America’s unofficial “corporate law capital.”
Delaware is internationally recognized as a leading jurisdiction for corporate law. Today, almost two-thirds of the Fortune 500 and most of the publicly traded companies in the US call Delaware their legal home. Delaware business entity law is used by companies around the world to structure their complex business transactions and acquisitions. Our State’s courts and legal community are at the center of the global corporate world. Widener is an important partner in Delaware’s success. If you are interested in learning about corporate law, Widener is an excellent choice.
—Jack Markell, Governor of Delaware
General Master of Laws Program (LLM) in American Legal Studies
The LLM in American Legal Studies is available only to students who have completed a first degree in law from an academically qualified non-US law school, and is designed to prepare these students for a bar exam and legal practice in the United States.
Master of Jurisprudence Program (MJ) or Master of Law (LLM) in Corporate Law with a Concentration in Regulatory Analysis and Compliance
The MJ in Corporate Law is an entirely ONLINE program designed for those seeking graduate-level training in the regulations and laws impacting corporations and developing a compliance program in their industry. Special focus is given to legal concepts regarding the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Dodd-Frank, and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, as well as real-world training in developing a compliance program.
Master of Jurisprudence Program (MJ) or Master of Law (LLM) in Health Law with a Concentration in Regulatory Analysis and Compliance
The MJ in Health Law is an entirely ONLINE program designed for those seeking graduate-level training in the regulations and laws impacting health-care organizations and developing a compliance program in their industry. Special focus is given to legal concepts regarding the False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Law, HIPAA, and OIG Compliance Program Guidances, as well as real-world training in developing a compliance program.
Delaware Law has established a dual-degree program that provides students with both a US LLM and an advanced foreign law degree. We have partnerships with law schools in Spain, France, and China, and continue to expand. This program offers a unique opportunity for students from around the globe to collaborate as they study US and international legal issues.
A dual Master of Jurisprudence/Master of Business Administration (MJ/MBA) is also available. Offered through a unique collaboration with Widener University’s School of Business, the program allows students to earn both an MJ in Corporate Law and an MBA in less time and gain an advantage in entering the workforce sooner. The MJ/MBA is offered in an entirely ONLINE format, making it a convenient option for working professionals.
Summer Law Programs
Delaware Law School invites applicants to its summer law programs. Sessions run in June, July, and August and include courses such as The US Legal System, Anticorruption, Environmental Human Rights, Advanced Concepts in Corporate and Business Law, Human Dignity Rights, and International Money Laundering.
Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD)
The Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) in Corporate and Business Law or Health Law offers the opportunity to demonstrate high scholarly achievement in the field of corporate law or health law and policy. The SJD is designed for exceptional candidates who possess an LLM and wish to pursue advanced study, research, and writing.
Delaware Law offers various scholarships, including the Scholarship for International Leaders. This scholarship is for high-achieving international students who have completed a degree in law from a qualified non-US law school and who wish to pursue an LLM degree. It is based on academic excellence, financial need, and demonstrated dedication to developing beneficial international relationships in business, compliance, or the law. Fulbright scholarships are also available for qualified students.
In order to earn a Master of Laws (LLM) degree, a student must complete 24 semester hours of coursework at the graduate level.
In order to earn a Master of Jurisprudence (MJ) degree, a student must complete 29 semester hours of coursework at the graduate level.
In order to earn a Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) degree, a student must complete 43 credits hours of coursework along with a 75,000-word dissertation.
- Our LLM programs are open to graduates of United States juris doctor programs and international students who have successfully completed a degree in law from an academically qualified non-US law school. Foreign-trained law graduates must score a minimum of 6.5 on the IELTS or the equivalent of 83 or above on the TOEFL.
- Our master of jurisprudence programs require only a bachelor’s degree.
- Our SJD program requires an LLM degree from a U.S. ABA-approved law school or a non-U.S. law school with equivalent standards and degree requirements.
- Visit Graduate Programs or Compliance Programs for full application requirements.
Students may begin study in August for the fall semester or in January for the spring semester. A May start date is available for our online programs.
For more information about Widener University Delaware Law School’s LLM and MJ programs, please visit Graduate Programs or Compliance Programs, or contact
Graduate, International, Compliance, and Legal Studies Programs
4601 Concord Pike
Wilmington, DE 19803-0474