After you register for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS), you must have a separate transcript sent to LSAC directly from each undergraduate and graduate institution you attended in the United States, its territories/associated states, or Canada.
It is your responsibility to request an official copy of all required transcripts to be sent to LSAC directly from each institution you attended, even if you didn't complete your degree.
Law schools require transcripts from the following institutions you have attended:
- Community colleges
- Undergraduate and graduate institutions
- Law, medical, or professional institutions
- Institutions attended for summer or evening courses
- Institutions attended even though a degree was never received
- Institutions from which you took college-level courses while in high school even though they were for high school credit
- Institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study (see below for more information)
- International transcripts, if applicable
Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if
- Credit was transferred from an institution and it appears on another institution’s transcript.
- The institution is closed. (These transcripts are usually maintained by the department of higher education or by another school in the state in which the school was located, so you will need to contact the state’s department of higher education. For international transcripts, contact the Ministry of Education in the country where the school was located.)
- “Withdraw,” “incomplete,” etc., are the only grades listed.
- You have just enrolled. (Request that the registrar’s office send a transcript of courses “in progress” or a statement of current enrollment. The document must bear the official registrar’s seal.)
Clear Sponsorship vs. Transfer Credit
Clear sponsorship means
- The courses received the sponsoring institution’s academic credit (not transfer credit).
- The course codes, titles, credits earned, and grades appear on the sponsoring institution’s transcript. Typically, these grades and credits are included in the sponsoring institution’s cumulative GPA. The courses are often administered and taught by the sponsoring institution’s faculty at an overseas institution.
Work that appears as transfer credit on the sponsoring institution’s transcript has not been completed under the clear sponsorship of the institution, even if it is referenced as being completed under the institution’s exchange program, study-abroad program, or consortium. However, grades received in courses transferred from other institutions are typically not reported on the sponsoring institution’s transcript, nor included in the sponsoring institution’s GPA. They simply contribute credit toward a degree or elective requirement, assuming a grade of C or better was attained. (Grades of C- and below typically do not transfer.)
The transcript from your bachelor’s degree-granting (home) institution may include grades and credits earned through an interinstitutional agreement (e.g., cooperative, exchange, consortium). You do not need to request a separate transcript from the interinstitutional school attended IF
- Your home school’s transcript clearly indicates that the coursework was completed through this type of program.
- Course codes, titles, grades, and credits earned appear on the home school’s transcript, AND
- The home school included these grades in your GPA.
In these cases, your home school has treated the coursework as if it were its own. This is not transfer credit. Consequently, the grades and credits will be summarized under the home school.
An international transcript is required if you were directly enrolled at such an institution(s) outside the US, its territories, or Canada, and the total amount of work you completed at the institution(s) combined is the equivalent to one year or more of study in the US, its territories, or Canada. If your study abroad is less than one year of study and is not a clear sponsorship by a domestic school, then the transcript is not required by LSAC to be submitted.
Confirming Your Institutions Attended
To confirm your institutions attended and generate your Transcript Request Forms, follow these steps:
- Log in to your LSAC.org account.
- Once on your My Home page, click the “Credentials & CAS” tab at the top of the page. Then click the “Add Institutions” link under the “Actions and Information” heading.
- For any institutions that are already listed, click Edit to complete your information.
- Add any additional institutions that you have attended.
- Once you have entered all of your institution information, scroll down to the bottom of the My Institutions Attended page and click Continue.
- Review your information to ensure that it is accurate. Then hit Confirm.
- Visit the Transcripts page of your account. A Transcript Request Form link will be listed below each institution. Click these links to access your forms. (It may take a few minutes for the forms to generate in your account.)
Transcripts issued to you or sent by you will not be processed. It is your responsibility to request an official copy of all required transcripts to be sent to LSAC directly from the registrar’s office of each institution OR from one of the following approved electronic transcript transfer sources:
- National Student Clearinghouse
- Credentials Solutions
Unless your school uses one of the above electronic transcript transfer sources and participates in the electronic transfer delivery service, you must use LSAC’s Transcript Request Forms when requesting transcripts from your institutions.
This is important: Not all schools participate in sending transcripts via Electronic Transfer even though they may use one of the services listed above. (For example, some schools using these services will only deliver a paper copy or an electronic PDF version of your transcript.) If your school does not participate in delivery via Electronic Transfer, you must request that your official transcript be mailed to LSAC. If your institution has an established account with LSAC, official transcripts may be uploaded to LSAC via the registrar portal of the LSAC website. To avoid processing delays, all mailed transcripts should be sent to:
662 Penn Street
Newtown, PA 18940-0993
The address to which your transcripts must be sent will be printed on your Transcript Request Forms. You need not worry about an address when using one of the electronic services.
Transcripts issued on behalf of your institution through any other service will not be accepted electronically. You must request that the service mail the official transcript along with LSAC's Transcript Request Form.
This is important. Please Note:
- Transcripts will not be accepted via email.
- Most institutions charge a fee for forwarding transcripts.
LSAC will process your transcripts within two weeks of the date that they are received.
Additional time is required to process and evaluate transcripts from international institutions that you attended for more than one year.
Updating Your Transcript Information
Candidates must have official transcripts sent to LSAC for any additional academic work completed, including degrees obtained, to update the file. If your Law School Report has already been sent to requesting law schools, an updated report will be transmitted, provided their terms are still active. To have an updated transcript sent to LSAC, please follow the instructions above to order your transcripts.
If you attended an institution and are unable to obtain transcripts from that institution due to a financial obligation, you must indicate this when registering for CAS. If the institution is the only undergraduate institution you attended, or if you have attended multiple undergraduate institutions and have outstanding financial obligations with all of them, LSAC cannot produce your Law School Reports.
This is important. Please Note: Financial obligations do not include Student Loans.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I confirm the institutions I have attended?
Please log into your LSAC account, select “Credentials & CAS,” then select “Add Institutions.” Once you have entered all of the necessary information for your institutions, please select the “Continue” button at the bottom of the page to confirm and submit your institutions attended.
Which transcripts are required?
Law schools wish to see the original transcript from each institution where you have earned college credits, including institutions where you took college-level classes while in high school, institutions where you received credits that were transferred to your degree-granting school, and institutions where you took courses that were not part of your degree. This includes transcripts that might only indicate grades of “withdraw,” “incomplete,” and the like. For transcripts from closed institutions, please contact the Department of Education of the state in which you attended the institution. That agency will be able to provide you with information regarding the location of your transcript.
How do I order a domestic transcript?
It’s easy. You can order two ways:
Electronic: LSAC can process transcripts electronically only if your school uses one of the four services that LSAC uses to process transcripts electronically. Those are National Student Clearinghouse, Scrip-Safe, Parchment, and Credentials Solutions. If your school uses one of those four, you may request to have your transcripts sent through whichever service they use. When requesting the transcript, you must select the “Electronic Exchange” PDF option and select LSAC as the intended recipient from the dropdown menu in order to have the transcript sent to LSAC.
Paper copy: Please go to the Transcripts page of your online account. A Transcript Request Form link will be listed below each institution. You may click these links to access your forms. Submit the form to the registrar and request a copy of the transcript be mailed to the address listed on the upper left-hand corner of the form.
A note about using Transcript Request forms — Official transcripts may be submitted without a Transcript Request Form; however, some processing delays may occur as the document must first be matched to your account before processing can begin. Please note that transcripts displaying only common or previous names should always include a Transcript Request Form or your LSAC account number to ensure that the transcript is matched to the correct account.
How do I order an international transcript?
Please print and send the transcript request form to the school, and request they mail it with your official transcript to LSAC, in a school-sealed envelope. Our mailing address will be shown on the transcript request form. You can access the form by selecting the Transcript Request Form link under each institution’s listing on the Transcripts page of your online account.
The academic record must be issued by the institution’s central administrative office responsible for preparing and verifying official student records. It must be sent directly to LSAC by the issuing institution in a securely closed envelope and with the institution’s official stamp or seal across the securely closed flap. All international educational records must be provided in the original language. If the transcript or other required documents are not in English, a translation must be included.
Which academic records are required for internationally educated applicants?
You must have your institutions attended send LSAC official institution-issued or attested true copies of your permanent academic record (e.g., transcripts, report cards, examination statements, marks sheets, diplomas) showing subjects or courses studied per each academic term/year with final examination results/grades/marks issued. Please visit the Document Requirements (Listed by Country) page of our website for specific requirements for each country.