Requesting Transcripts

This is important: LLM degree applicants should go to the LLM Credential Assembly Service page.

After you register for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS), you must have a separate transcript sent to LSAC directly from each undergraduate and graduate institution you attended in the United States, its territories/associated states, or Canada.

It is your responsibility to request an official copy of all required transcripts to be sent to LSAC directly from each institution you attended.

Required Transcripts

Law schools require transcripts from the following institutions you have attended:

  • Community colleges
  • Undergraduate and graduate institutions
  • Law, medical, or professional institutions
  • Institutions attended for summer or evening courses
  • Institutions attended even though a degree was never received
  • Institutions from which you took college-level courses while in high school even though they were for high school credit
  • Institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study (see below for more information)
  • International transcripts, if applicable

Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if

  • Credit was transferred from an institution and it appears on another institution’s transcript.
  • The institution is closed. (These transcripts are usually maintained by the department of higher education or by another school in the state in which the school was located, so you will need to contact the state’s department of higher education. For international transcripts, contact the Ministry of Education in the country where the school was located.)
  • “Withdraw,” “incomplete,” etc., are the only grades listed.
  • You have just enrolled. (Request that the registrar’s office send a transcript of courses “in progress” or a statement of current enrollment. The document must bear the official registrar’s seal.)

Clear Sponsorship vs. Transfer Credit

Clear sponsorship means

  • The courses received the sponsoring institution’s academic credit (not transfer credit).
  • The course codes, titles, credits earned, and grades appear on the sponsoring institution’s transcript. Typically, these grades and credits are included in the sponsoring institution’s cumulative GPA. The courses are often administered and taught by the sponsoring institution’s faculty at an overseas institution.

Work that appears as transfer credit on the sponsoring institution’s transcript has not been completed under the clear sponsorship of the institution, even if it is referenced as being completed under the institution’s exchange program, study-abroad program, or consortium. However, grades received in courses transferred from other institutions are typically not reported on the sponsoring institution’s transcript, nor included in the sponsoring institution’s GPA. They simply contribute credit toward a degree or elective requirement, assuming a grade of C or better was attained. (Grades of C- and below typically do not transfer.)

Interinstitutional Programs

The transcript from your bachelor’s degree-granting (home) institution may include grades and credits earned through an interinstitutional agreement (e.g., cooperative, exchange, consortium). You do not need to request a separate transcript from the interinstitutional school attended IF

  1. Your home school’s transcript clearly indicates that the coursework was completed through this type of program.
  2. Course codes, titles, grades, and credits earned appear on the home school’s transcript, AND
  3. The home school included these grades in your GPA.

In these cases, your home school has treated the coursework as if it were its own. This is not transfer credit. Consequently, the grades and credits will be summarized under the home school.

Transcripts issued to you or sent by you will not be processed. It is your responsibility to request an official copy of all required transcripts to be sent to LSAC directly from the registrar’s office of each institution OR from one of the following approved electronic transcript transfer sources:

  • National Student Clearinghouse
  • Credentials Solutions
  • Scrip-Safe
  • Parchment

Unless your school uses one of the above electronic transcript transfer sources and participates in the electronic transfer delivery service, you must use LSAC’s Transcript Request Forms when requesting transcripts from your institutions.

This is important: Not all schools participate in sending transcripts via Electronic Transfer even though they may use one of the services listed above. (For example, some schools using these services will only deliver a paper copy or an electronic PDF version of your transcript.) If your school does not participate in delivery via Electronic Transfer, you must request that your official transcript be mailed to LSAC. If your institution has an established account with LSAC, official transcripts may be uploaded to LSAC via the registrar portal of the LSAC website. To avoid processing delays, all mailed transcripts should be sent to:

Box 2000-M
Newtown, PA 18940-0993

The address to which your transcripts must be sent will be printed on your Transcript Request Forms. You need not worry about an address when using one of the electronic services.

Transcripts issued on behalf of your institution through any other service will not be accepted electronically. You must request that the service mail the official transcript along with LSAC's Transcript Request Form.

Please wait until you have completed at least six semesters of undergraduate work before requesting transcripts.

This is important. Please Note:

  1. Transcripts will not be accepted via email.
  2. Most institutions charge a fee for forwarding transcripts.
  3. LSAC will process your transcripts within two weeks of the date that they are received.
  4. Additional time is required to process and evaluate transcripts from international institutions that you attended for more than one year.

How to Access Your Transcript Request Forms

To generate your Transcript Request Forms, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to your account.
  2. On your homepage, click the Add or Submit Institutions link found beneath the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) heading.
  3. For any institutions that are already listed, click Edit to complete your information.
  4. Add any additional institutions that you have attended.
  5. Once you have entered all of your institution information, scroll down to the bottom of the My Institutions Attended page and click Continue.
  6. Review your information to ensure that it is accurate. Then hit Confirm.
  7. Visit the Transcripts page of your account. A Transcript Request Form link will be listed below each institution. Click these links to access your forms. (It may take a few minutes for the forms to generate in your account.)

Updating Your Transcript Information

Have official transcripts sent to LSAC for any additional academic work completed after your initial Law School Reports have been forwarded. We will incorporate this information into your file and send updated transcript reports to the law schools, as long as their reporting terms are still current.

Inability to Obtain Transcripts

  • If you attended an institution within the United States, its territories/associated states, or Canada and are unable to obtain transcripts from that institution due to a financial obligation, you must indicate this when registering for CAS. If the institution is the only undergraduate institution you attended, or if you have attended multiple undergraduate institutions and have outstanding financial obligations with all of them, LSAC cannot produce your Law School Reports.
  • If you attended an institution outside of the United States, its territories/associated states, or Canada and have outstanding financial obligations with one or more of them, LSAC cannot produce your Law School Reports.