Last updated: February 20, 2020
How We Collect Your Information
Information We Collect Directly from You
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an online account, register for a test, take the LSAT, request that we send test scores to certain law schools, fill out a law school application, purchase our products, request customer support and otherwise communicate with us.
The type of information we may collect from you includes:
- Contact information, such as your name, email address, mailing address, and phone number;
- Account information, such as your LSAC account number, user ID, password, and security questions;
- Application information, such as your social security number, date of birth, education history, transcripts, essays, letters of recommendation, photo (for LSAT admission ticket), and language(s) spoken; and
- Optional information you choose to provide, such as information about race, ethnicity, gender identification, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, and disabilities.
Information About Your Use of the Services
We collect information about your use of the services, such as the date of your most recent LSAT registration, test date and location, test attendance records (absences, delays, or cancelations), test answer sheet and writing sample, and LSAT results and score analysis. We also collect information about schools you apply to, and purchases you make.
Information We Collect Automatically About Your Use of our Website
We automatically collect information about you when you access and use our website, including:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of our website, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, search terms entered and the page you visited before navigating to our website.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our website, including the hardware model, operating system and version, and unique device identifiers.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our services. For example, if someone submits a letter of recommendation about you, we collect that information and combine it with the information we collect directly from you. We also collect certain information from the law schools to which you apply, such as the admissions decision, scholarship offers, reviewer notes, and other information schools choose to provide.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information to facilitate your law school testing and application processes and generally provide, maintain, and improve our services. We may also use your information to:
- Maintain and customize your account and our interactions with you (the legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interest in providing you with the services you request and improving your experience on our website and in our test centers);
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages, and respond to your comments, questions, and customer service requests (the legal basis for this is our legitimate interest in maintaining the quality and security of our services and providing you with a good user experience);
- Send marketing communications about products, services, offers, and events offered by LSAC and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (the legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interest in providing information about products and services that may be of interest to you, unless applicable law requires us to obtain your consent, in which case we will do so). You can unsubscribe from these communications at any time (see Your Choices below for details);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our services (the legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interest in better understanding user needs and expectations);
- Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of LSAC and others (the legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interest in preventing fraud and securing our services); and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
- Generate aggregate statistical studies and conduct research ourselves or jointly with others related to our products and services and the use of our website.
We may also use your information in other ways, if you consent to those uses.
- With service providers, vendors, and consultants that perform services on our behalf, such as those that operate test centers and provide payment processing, customer service, and marketing support;
- When you submit a law school application, we share information about you with the relevant law school to facilitate the application process and enable the law school to communicate directly with you;
- If you sign up for the Candidate Referral Service (“CRS”), we share information about you with law schools and organizations so they can send you promotional materials about their programs, events, and other information that may be of interest to you (for information about how to opt out of having your information shared in this way, see Your Choices below);
- To comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, protect and defend LSAC’s rights and property, protect the safety of our users and/or the public, and protect against legal liability;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another entity;
- Between and among LSAC’s current and future parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and other entities under common control and ownership; and
- With your consent and at your direction.
We also share aggregated or de-identified data that does not identify you personally (such as information about LSAC.org traffic patterns).
Third Party Advertising and Analytics
Managing Your LSAC.org Account
You may review, update, or modify your account information, including profile and contact information, at any time by logging into your LSAC.org account.
Opting out of LSAC Promotional Communications
You may unsubscribe from LSAC promotional emails at any time by following the instructions included in those emails. If you opt out of receiving such communications, note that we may continue to send you non-promotional emails (such as test registration and application submission confirmation emails or emails about changes to our legal terms and policies).
Opting out of Promotional Communications from Law Schools
If you sign up for CRS, we share information about you with law schools as described in the How We Share Your Information section above. If you later want to unsubscribe from these communications, you will need to contact the law schools directly and/or follow the opt out instructions provided in those communications or the law schools’ privacy policies. To request that LSAC stop sharing your information with CRS recipients going forward, please log on to your LSAC account, go to the Candidate Referral Services page and opt-out of LSAC sharing your information with Law Schools.
California Privacy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. However, under the law, an organization is not required to provide this information if it permits California residents to opt in to, or opt out of, this type of sharing. LSAC qualifies for this alternative option. To opt out of having your information shared with law schools for their own marketing purposes, please write to us at email@example.com with the subject line “Opt out request.”
LSAC is based in the United States and we and our vendors process and store personal data in the United States and, if you take the LSAT outside of the United States, other jurisdictions. These jurisdictions may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. We transfer personal data across borders when we have your consent to do so, or when such processing is necessary to perform our contractual obligations to you (for example, to process a payment). If the transfer is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw such consent at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We take steps to ensure that your personal data receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
Individuals in the European Economic Area
If you are in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), you have certain additional rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data.
Subject to certain limitations and exceptions, you have the following legal rights:
- A right to obtain information: You have the right to request information about how we process your personal data.
- A right of access: You have the right to request access to, or a copy of, the personal data we process about you.
- A right of rectification: You have the right to request that we correct or supplement inaccurate or incomplete personal data we process about you.
- A right of erasure: You have the right to request that we delete personal data about you.
- A right to restriction of processing: You have the right to request that we restrict processing of your personal data, so that we can store such data but not further process it.
- A right to data portability: You have the right to request that we provide the personal data which you provided to us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and you have the right to transmit such data to another controller without hindrance from LSAC.
- A right to object to processing: You have the right to request that we stop processing personal data about you (for example, when your personal data is processed for direct marketing purposes, you have the right to object to the processing of such data at any time by writing to email@example.com or clicking on the “unsubscribe” link available at the bottom of the messages received).
- A right to revoke your consent: When our processing is based on your consent, you have the right to revoke such consent at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The right to file a complaint: You have the right to file a complaint regarding our data protection practices with a supervisory authority. Contact details for your supervisory authority are available at http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm.
To exercise these rights, please email us at email@example.com.
Our retention periods for personal data are based on our business needs and legal requirements. We retain personal data for as long as is necessary for the processing purpose(s) for which the data was collected, and any other permissible, related purpose. We may also retain certain transaction details and correspondence until the time limit for claims arising from the transaction has expired. Generally, electronic data for all LSAC account registrants will be held for a period of 5 years from the last financial transaction made with LSAC, with the exception of LSAT scores and misconduct and irregularities findings which are kept indefinitely to be reported to schools based upon the reporting policy adopted for each year. Financial transactions include, but are not limited to, paying for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) and paying for a test registration. Paper CAS records are retained for one year and then destroyed, and hard copies of testing answer sheets are held for six months.
Links to Other Websites
LSAC wants you to be aware that when you click on links that take you to third-party websites, you will be subject to these third parties' privacy policies. While we support the protection of privacy on the Internet, LSAC cannot be responsible for the actions of third parties.
Law School Admission Council, Inc.
Attn: Data Protection Officer
662 Penn Street
Newtown, PA 18940